Skip to main content

Last Lecture

I'm going to write to you today as if it was my last opportunity to say anything on this subject. There are several key lessons that I've learned throughout this course and I will try my best to explain them in a way that is coherent. Know that these are not the actual answers to life and that those come from the Book of Mormon and from our relationship with our Father in Heaven.

Lessons Learned
1. Talk to our Father in Heaven and He will talk to you. He wants to hear everything. I promise.
2. We are not meant to be born, work, and die. Life is meant to be fun. "...men are, that they might have joy." (2 Nephi 2:25).
3. Prioritize. Everything. Always.
4. Dogs are great.
5. Make goals. Make plans. And them DO THEM!!!
6. Talk to your mom. Talk to your best friend. Talk to your brother. Talk to people. Humans need interaction. Also, everyone has a story.
7. Never lie. It's not worth it.

I cannot emphasis enough how much love God has for us. He loves us SO MUCH. And He wants to help us. He is always there watching and waiting for us to call on Him. I was reading a general conference talk the other day and I believe that no one explains God's love like this, "...the first great truth of all eternity is that God loves us with all of His heart, might, mind, and strength" (Holland) Can you believe that? He doesn't love us with our ability, He loves us with all of His ability. That's a lot of love. You can do a lot of things with that amount of love.

In regards to number three, I have learned over and over in my twenty years of experience, that prioritizing helps everything else fall into place. For me, my list is kind of like this: God, then family/ friends, then school. Putting God first has ALWAYS saved my butt. He helps me to stay focused and remember the things that I need to do. I strongly believe in having good relationships with those around you. Family and friends are some of my greatest assets in life because FAMILY IS FOREVER and that is that. Eternity is a long time and it would be pretty lonely without my incredible family and friends. They are my refuge when life gets tough and I'm so grateful for them and all they do for me. Love your family. And remember that family doesn't just mean blood.

Finally, the last point is one of the most important ones, especially in the business world. Do not lie. Just don't do it. Have integrity. Gain people's trust and don't lose it. Your reputation is incredibly important and I promise that if you lose people's trust, that will kill your reputation faster than anything else. If you learn nothing else in the business world, learn to be faithful. Learn to have integrity. Best of luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus on the GOOD

This week, I interviewed an entrepreneur that happened to be an old friend of mine. We met before I served my mission and since then, he has sold everything he owns, transferred to BYU-Hawaii, and opened up a food truck. As I was talking with him, I realized a few things that I knew, but hadn't remembered. 1. You have to be ALL IN. Fully focus on your business or else it will suffer 2. Sacrifice is required to have a successful business. He sold everything he had to have enough money to be able to move to Hawaii and open up his food truck, but it was worth it for the experience. 3. Income is not steady. It probably never will be either. It will start off very low and then maybe get really high and then it'll be a journey from there. You have to learn how to invest wisely and always have an emergency fund. I knew when I started down this path of becoming an entrepreneur that it was going to be an adventure, but boy did I not realize how crazy it was going to get. I've ...

The Greatest Leaders Are the Greatest Followers

"If  I  were  to  ask  you,  “Who  is  the  greatest  leader  who  ever  lived?”—what  would  you  say?  The  answer,  of  course,  is  Jesus  Christ.  He  sets  the  perfect  example  of  every  imaginable  leadership  quality. But  what  if  I  were  to  ask  you,  “Who  is  the  greatest  follower  who  ever  lived?”—wouldn’t  the  answer  again  be  Jesus  Christ?  He  is  the  greatest  leader  because  He  is  the  greatest  follower—He  follows  His  Father  perfectly,  in  all  things." -Stephen W. Owen This week, we read quite a few stories and watched a few videos, and it got me thinking a lot about leadership. Hence...

If there is anything virtuous....

This week flew by so fast that I cannot even remember what happened Monday. It feels like Monday happened seven years ago. I learned a lot about who I am and a lot of spiritual stuff because today and tomorrow is General Conference for our church. So, I've been focusing a lot on the Savior, the Gospel, and the Temple. I recognized that in the readings and videos, there was a lot more focus on being a good person and being trustworthy. I read about some people that lied and I also read about some people that focused all their resources on helping others and giving back. Needless to say, I have done some reflecting this week and I have made myself some new goals that I want to apply next semester. 1. Put God first always. He will provide. And go to the temple weekly. 2. Talk one on one with family members and friends more often. 3. Put more time and effort into my school work I have some more, but those are the top ones that I want to focus on. I feel like I have done decently ...