Skip to main content

How Will You Measure Your Life?

This week was a huge learning experience for me. I don't know if you have read A Ministry of Business, but if you haven't and you plan on being a successful human being, I suggest you read it. I'm not saying that you won't be successful if you don't read the book. I'm just saying that if you read the book, you might have more success in your life.

Okay, besides that, I wanted to touch on a few life questions that our professor asked us to ponder this week. They are as follows:

1. Will I be happy in my career?
2. What about my relationships?
3. How do I stay out of jail?

Before this week, I can honestly say that I have never asked myself the third question. It has never crossed my mind. But, this class has been teaching me and pushing me to do things I've never done before, which I love. I pondered these a lot throughout the week and I think I will continue for awhile. 

One of my favorite quotes is by C.S. Lewis and it goes,

"Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching."

Another one is by Ralph Marston,

"Happiness is a choice, not a result. Nothing will make you happy until you choose to be happy. No person will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Your happiness will not come to you. It can only come from you."

BAM. If that doesn't make you think about what you're doing with your life, then I don't know what will. How are you going to be happy in your career? By CHOOSING something you love and DOING it. How will you be happy in your relationships? BY choosing your love and loving your choice (Gordon B. Hinckley). How do you stay out of jail? By doing the right thing. Always. No matter what. It will literally save your life. Think about it. Sleep on it. Choose it.

Love,
Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focus on the GOOD

This week, I interviewed an entrepreneur that happened to be an old friend of mine. We met before I served my mission and since then, he has sold everything he owns, transferred to BYU-Hawaii, and opened up a food truck. As I was talking with him, I realized a few things that I knew, but hadn't remembered. 1. You have to be ALL IN. Fully focus on your business or else it will suffer 2. Sacrifice is required to have a successful business. He sold everything he had to have enough money to be able to move to Hawaii and open up his food truck, but it was worth it for the experience. 3. Income is not steady. It probably never will be either. It will start off very low and then maybe get really high and then it'll be a journey from there. You have to learn how to invest wisely and always have an emergency fund. I knew when I started down this path of becoming an entrepreneur that it was going to be an adventure, but boy did I not realize how crazy it was going to get. I've ...

The Greatest Leaders Are the Greatest Followers

"If  I  were  to  ask  you,  “Who  is  the  greatest  leader  who  ever  lived?”—what  would  you  say?  The  answer,  of  course,  is  Jesus  Christ.  He  sets  the  perfect  example  of  every  imaginable  leadership  quality. But  what  if  I  were  to  ask  you,  “Who  is  the  greatest  follower  who  ever  lived?”—wouldn’t  the  answer  again  be  Jesus  Christ?  He  is  the  greatest  leader  because  He  is  the  greatest  follower—He  follows  His  Father  perfectly,  in  all  things." -Stephen W. Owen This week, we read quite a few stories and watched a few videos, and it got me thinking a lot about leadership. Hence...

If there is anything virtuous....

This week flew by so fast that I cannot even remember what happened Monday. It feels like Monday happened seven years ago. I learned a lot about who I am and a lot of spiritual stuff because today and tomorrow is General Conference for our church. So, I've been focusing a lot on the Savior, the Gospel, and the Temple. I recognized that in the readings and videos, there was a lot more focus on being a good person and being trustworthy. I read about some people that lied and I also read about some people that focused all their resources on helping others and giving back. Needless to say, I have done some reflecting this week and I have made myself some new goals that I want to apply next semester. 1. Put God first always. He will provide. And go to the temple weekly. 2. Talk one on one with family members and friends more often. 3. Put more time and effort into my school work I have some more, but those are the top ones that I want to focus on. I feel like I have done decently ...